Dealing With Cognitive Dissonance


I was talking with a friend recently and he wasn't sure what cognitive dissonance was because I had brought up the subject of the current experience of media, i.e. that you feel unmoored, you feel that things are being pushed at you and you've lost your ability to pull information as you used to from print and radio/TV media. It was "digestible"; you were able to "masticate" and "savor" the information. For example, I would read the movie reviews on Fridays and I would see the films on the weekend, in addition to those videos you could rent or get from a library. So it was a push-pull that worked efficiently. These days I wonder how media is (insidiously) influencing my creativity because the inputs aren't the same. Back in the day, I used to frequently go to museums and galleries (several a week) and look at work properly curated on walls. Now everything is thrown at the wall of the screen. It's a cognitive dissonance, a cultural "tinnitus" that you can't get rid of.


Comments

Popular Posts