What's Your Process?

"Everything is infused with the consciousness in which you do it.", as has been said.

We always talk about "thought process" but within it is the "sight process" and "sound process" that follow the same laws of perception, such as the law of proximity or law of similarity.

My "sight process" can start with a camera, that functions as a recorder of ideas and lister of ideas. Digital photography and software like Lightroom, have made it easy to form these lists. The "thought process" comes later when sorting and categorizing them (law of similarity). The process naturally reveals itself in the process of grouping them with other similar photos, most often through a computer's directory structure of Folders and Files and with metadata, which can be lists.

Umberto Eco on List metaphors:



Who's/What's Doing What?

Photo-taking usually doesn't have a preceding sight process until there is a strong sense of "me". What the "I" (and "eye") sees is not what the "me" does in photography post-capture. The "I" is "I am taking a picture of that", the "me" is "that is my style, and something the "I" likes. Photo-sharing is essentially a list of "me's", as you are saying it's your style, like seeing a shirt and saying "that's me". When people like the photo they are saying either: "I like your style, or "I like that style" which says "that's me", "I want to make/have that".

Comments

Popular Posts