Driven to music: A prodigy at age 15

This is exactly how I have always composed music: combining disparate elements into a complete work, not unlike making a meal from things already on hand in your kitchen. It's basically the art of combination.

Things are always laying around in some degree of finished.


http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/11/14/greenberg.carnegie/index.html

Instead, he says, he tends to "hear" his music in sections. "I might have 87 bars on January 1, then nothing until January 26. At that point, there would be another 52 bars. And so on, and so forth. I write down the first theme. And then six months later, I have another idea" for a piece. "I go back to that first theme and think, 'They would work pretty well together.' So I put them together in a piece. Then a week later, maybe another idea, and say, 'That would be a good ending to the piece.' "

Popular Posts