Reacting In The Moment


As I've been working on the October "installment" for Nostalgia Galaxy ("Camera Ion") it is evolving in desultory ways that I didn't expect based upon the initial improvisations. The guitar parts push it in the direction of prog and the organ parts push it into R&B. But there are other versions that are drastically different and are essentially "nudges" into other genres and vibes. Certain dissonances emerged in the flow of work which perhaps was a kind of synchronicity in context with the events of 10/7 and I followed that path and started to sound very ominous. Was I reacting in a right-hemisphere fashion or was it just the same old left-hemisphere approach that composers use?

I generally don't like doing political work but I think if I'm in the right hemisphere I'm more apt to not dismiss that kind of thing. It's not that I'm forcing it--it's just that it's in the back of my mind and I'm more able to let that kind of stuff through.

It reminds me of the work of Scott Walker's later avant-garde work. I like the balance between left-hemisphere and right-hemisphere approaches where I'm integrating all the work from the initial improvised sessions where I was just playing with metaphors and finding sounds that matched them. It's really a great way of working where you're using  the right brain first rather than making too much structure. But what happened here was that both the improvisation in the initial parts were incorporated into the structure, in this case, a string piece that got spun off.

10/8/2023

October 7 2023 (Draft 2) by meta4s

 Seed Mix:


Comments

Popular Posts