AI Diarists

 


I had the idea that I could use ChatGPT for creating diary entries for various characters in the In Sum series. I had wanted to create a character, either male or female, who was 18 in 1886, a single saeculum (lifetime) from 1966 and two generations into the future in 2046. 

I used this query: "Write a diary entry for May 6, 1886 for an American female who was then 18 years old."

This is the raw result:

(5/1/1886, Saturday)

Today, I went into the city with some friends to participate in a labor rally. It was a peaceful protest, with workers calling for an eight-hour workday and better conditions. But as the day went on, things started to get tense. There were rumors that the police might try to break up the rally, and some of the workers were carrying weapons.

Suddenly, shots rang out, and chaos erupted. I couldn't believe what was happening - it was like something out of a nightmare. People were screaming and running in every direction, and I found myself caught up in the chaos.

I don't know how long it lasted, but eventually, I managed to make my way back to my friends. We were all shaken, but thankfully, we were all right. As we made our way back home, we heard news of what had happened - several people had been killed and many more were injured.

It's hard to put into words how I feel right now. Part of me is angry - angry that people have to fight so hard just to be treated fairly. But another part of me is scared - scared of what might happen if things continue to escalate.

One thing is for sure - I won't forget this day anytime soon. May 1, 1886, will always be a day that changed me in some way. I hope that one day, the world will be a place where people don't have to fight

(5/6/1886, Thursday)

I cannot believe that the labor strikes have turned violent and that the police have been firing upon the workers. The Haymarket Riot has left me feeling shaken and saddened. It is so hard to understand how this conflict between workers and the authorities has escalated to such an extent. I fear for the safety of those who are still protesting for their rights.

On a brighter note, I received a letter from my friend who recently moved to California. It was lovely to hear about her new life on the West Coast, and I am grateful for the reminder that there is still hope and happiness in the world.

As the day comes to an end, I cannot help but reflect on the state of our country. I hope that we can find a way to resolve these conflicts peacefully, and that we can move forward as a nation with compassion and understanding.

So trite!

The tweaks:

 5/6/1886, Thursday

Learned about the terrible Haymarket Riot/Labor strikes in Chicago turned violent and police firing at workers. I cannot help but reflect on the state of our country. I hope that we can find a way to resolve these conflicts peacefully, and that we can move forward as a nation with compassion and understanding.

Received a letter from my friend ______ who recently moved to California. It was lovely to hear about her new life on the West Coast.  

 5/1/1886, Saturday

Into city with some friends for labor rally. It started peaceful then turned violent--like something out of a nightmare. There were rumors that the police might try to break up the rally, and some of the workers were carrying weapons. As we made our way back home, we heard news of what had happened. Several people had been killed and many more were injured.

As you can see, there is no chronological continuity in the raw results and I had to tweak them quite a bit before they could begin to suggest a coherent narrative, and they still don't make sense.

It suggested that the character knew someone that had recently moved to California. This is kind of interesting, but if ChatGPT is truly intelligent and has long-term memory, should it not have the capability to elaborate on the California connection? I'm skeptical that AI could ever do this kind of independent thinking unless it is somewhere specific in the data--not just anyone in the Gold Rush.

It's the asking of good questions that is crucial for AI to be of any use, and the questions have to be interpreted the same each time, but with it understanding of how it's being used--in this case as a running diary.

Comments

Popular Posts