The AI Avant-Garde (Artificial AI)


As I've been working with music AI over the past few years I've been trying to figure out a good way to contextualize it with all the other things that I do. I realized this morning as I was working on something--and it wasn't really catching my ear--is that it has to be re-contextualized as something else. It might be a good way to make a new music avant-garde. If something doesn't work in the practical sense then you could always shift your view and make it something else. I think that's where it wants to go. I hate "turnkey" art.  

What companies seem to be doing is to make music AI a part of the mainstream and I don't think it ever will be. If it does it won't be very interesting. It will all sound the same. The Boomy app is kind of interesting, but seldom works as "turnkey". Algorithmic trap works in somewhat the same way where it's generating permutations. The thing that's interesting about algorithmic trap is that it has a tonality to it so you can actually play your guitar against it. There was one that was in C minor but kept throwing in other chromatic notes and was doing it illogically. It was at that point that I thought, "Well, just use part of this or do something with that little error". Don't call it pop music because it can't be pop music--it has to be something else. If you go to that other place where it's something else then you can find something interesting. I think that's where I want to go with music AI.

Ancient AI was an attempt to simulate what composing with an AI mindset could produce, even though at the time AI music wasn't yet hyped.

Comments

Popular Posts