On the Death of Cursive

The medium is always the message. The handwritten letter was a very good way to express thought and emotion through the hand, pen, and paper. I don't think you get the same experience with typed electronic text, although this has allowed me to share my thoughts here. I still love certain inks on certain papers, and it and it subtlizes my thinking.

We should lament the demise of hand-written correspondence, but you still can do it if you want to. The problem is the thinking that mediums can be "pronounced dead". Photography, for example, has been pronounced dead many times, but people are doing it now more than ever, sometimes with film cameras, like the Holga.

For a redux of the feel of pen and paper, I recommend the book "Dear Data", which are beautiful "data selfies" that can be viewed as art, even without knowing or being interested in the data itself. It is both an artist book and conceptual piece.

Comments

Popular Posts