Scoring to Picture

I am reminded of the one of the strategies of film/audio editor Walter Murch, who would collect representation frames for each of the scenes in order to establish the feel of a scene.

"For each set-up I choose one, two or three frames that represent what that set-up is about. I take photographs of these frames and have them on the wall when I am cutting a scene. When I feel I need to cut to a new shot I look at the wall and choose a moment pictorially. Each picture is marked with a number that tells me where to find that shot." (McGrath, Declan. Editing & Post-Production).

If you've seen a film, a still from the film will remind you of it. (After all films are just a rapid succession of photographs.)

If you want to write film music, you could essentially write it from a small group of stills. There is an "averaging" that probably happens subliminally. Also I have found that I can watch some films in the background while doing something else, and can predict temporally when certain things happen (like the car chase, usually 15-20 minutes before the end)

Color-averaging is also an interesting way to distill meaning and represent it temporally.

In terms of infographics, one of my favorites is The Top Grossing Film of All Time, the averaged frames of the film Titanic. This goes back to the idea that film formulas are very common and can be shown in a graphical way. (If you did this with films that had car chases, they'd all be at about the same level on the Y-axis.) It is also an interesting use of geological metaphor, that puts the end of the movie on lower (older) layers. The take-away is that if something resembles something (like rock layers) it takes on those spatial characteristics. If using a music metaphor, this would be the "score", and the music in the dark areas would probably have those characteristics as well.

Popular Posts