On the nostalgia for vinyl

Every Friday at work we bring in vinyl to swap. I have 100s of albums in my collection and a turntable that remains in storage.

Everyone may have slightly different uses for nostalgia. For me this incunabula is simply a memory trigger--even without putting the vinyl on a turntable. Merely looking at the album covers restores the memories, and the act of giving it to someone else gives it greater salience. The memory is now glued to the act of sharing it. I don't necessarily drag the turntable out of the shed.

Memory lane includes:

Blues Breakers




















This was my introduction to blues circa 1977, which led to discovering its progenitors: Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, etc.

Pink Floyd--Meddle




















There was nothing more galvanizing as a musician than what Pink Floyd was doing. They were on the cusp of blues and experimental and tied in nicely with my interest in blues. Moreover, I attribute my interest in technology to Pink Floyd, as they took recording to the next next level.

Steely Dan--Aja




















This is (sort of) where my interest in jazz began, and like the Blues Breakers album helped me drill down into the genre. As a bassist, I really glommed on to what Chuck Rainey was doing. I still regard him as one of my favorite bassists for playing totally complementary bass lines that support the songs.

Vinyl is a great way to escape the bathos of technology, even if rekindling the memories.

Comments

Popular Posts