Art Chicago 2010

Went to Art Chicago. I can never really remember what last year's show was like, so they all seem the same. Lots of impressive art, but I suspect that profit margins are driving the event: cram as much art as you can in a huge space, which has the effect of making you tire of looking at it after about an hour.

Things I liked: Textures, glues, resins, 'dimensional projections' from digital to painting, 'clever' process like using a creme brulee torch on paper. Again lots of digital work. Interesting: when digital photos are upscaled they create square artifacts, especially on small points of light. Greg Scott had a few of his paintings with video 'nesting'. I really liked the fake aerial shots of suburban developments by ---- , and the architecture parodies using shavers, cheese graters, etc, I saw lots of artwork that was clearly reverential (David Salle, Eric Fischl) My friend made a funny comment about art made by Germans. I asked her advice about my interval series idea. She said "What would Beethoven do?" Chatted with a Santa Fe gallery owner about annual photo competitions for new artists. He suggested a trip there. It's an artist hotbed. I liked the Salton Sea photo in the background.

Comments

Popular Posts