Never call an instrument 'cheap'

'Inexpensive' yes, but not cheap. Ultimately these instruments can become the canvas for great music, or at least become the 'vessel' of great memories. I bought this Conquerer guitar in 1977 for $50. The Cousteau Society sticker masks a splotch of putty adhesive from a contact mic I once used. The guitar actually has a unique sound, no better than a Taylor in its uniqueness. The neck is warped, giving a nice high action for slide playing. It sounds like Picasso's "Maquette For Guitar", but not as attractive.



From an interview with Kevin Nealon, former SNL castmember:
"When I was 15 or 16, I had this big old Kimberly guitar from Sears Roebuck that my parents gave me for Christmas one year. I thought it was lost and gone forever. It weighs about 80 pounds and the strings are about 3 inches off the fretboard and it's got four pickups. It's huge. It's like the size of a surfboard. And I was in several garage bands with that — some really great memories. When I moved away from Connecticut I lost track of it, and when I reunited with an old friend of mine a couple years ago, he was cleaning out his father's house after his father died and he found my guitar and he sent it out to me."

Popular Posts