R.I.P. Bob Moog

I listen to the Moog today and I am still amazed at its unique qualities. Current synth technology can't come close to the Moog in terms of it being a genuine musical instrument where a player can shape sound easily in real time without having to drill through menus. Analog synths were no less complex--and even more so--but the architecture of modern synths have, by virtue of their interface, have slowed the creative process and made it less spontaneous. I think scratching was a response to this because there is always an effort to simplify music making to make it more empathetic and human. Also that's why we see so many synth players making requests to have more analog features on synths.

I have recently added a Korg Triton to my equipment arsenal. More of the pros and cons of this machine later, vis-a-vis the legacy of the Moog...

Popular Posts